Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Light My Fire

Come on, baby, light my fire...


Daddy Long-Legs built our first fire Sunday. I don't know where he got the idea that I like fires. Maybe it's because for the first two years of our marriage, I would scream "I love fires!!!!" and every night in the winter, "We should have a fire!!!" in total excitement. And so we did. Every night we were home.


I stare at it, sit too close to it, poke at it, throw stuff in it...I love fire.

It's probably one of the 5 things I like about winter (hot chocolate/warm drinks, boots, Christmas/holiday season, skiing/snow [if even available], fire). It's the same for everybody, I know. But my disdain for winter is so strong that I cling to fires like a life preserver. 
"I know it's only 58 degrees, but I had a bad day, so let's light it up."

It's energy, bright and warm. Something inside me resonates with that. I can feel that bright warmth, and when I feel passionate about something, I feel the fire. And I know how to stoke it. 
 I know where I feel it.

The third chakra (which is a swirling vortex of energy in the body), Manipura is located in the solar plexus. It represents warrior energy, self-esteem and transformation. It represents taking charge of one's life through selfless service, a get-up-and-go attitude. It is belly laughter and ease. It is warmth and vitality. It's the seat of personal power. It is, right now, my favorite chakra. 

courtesy of yogajournal.com
BOAT POSE BABY
A deficient third chakra is evident with digestive problems, low self-esteem, eating disorders, and feeling like a victim. In these cases, the fire needs to be stoked. I like core-strengthening poses for the third chakra. Navasana, which is boat pose, is great for this. Also, Urdhva Prasarita Padasana (fancy name for leg lifts) is also a great way to get into this chakra. Any twists too. The warrior poses. Making the sound "ram" will help too. Just do it.

Taking any kind of scary risk will help you to get into your third chakra as well.



Taking on too much stuff in life (sounds like someone I know...me), perfectionism, anger and hatred can indicate excess third chakra activity. Backbends are a great way to cool off the Manipura.

All righty, we got some winter griping in, some yoga, and now you're set.
Done for today. Wishing warmth for those of you stuck in cold, dreary weather. Like all of America.

Hotly,
Liza Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment