Monday, January 14, 2013

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

I love this Lucinda Williams song. 

Mostly, because it speaks so poignantly to my life. Which has a lot to do with car wheels on a gravel road. Or if it's been raining forever, car wheels on a muddy, nasty road.

Driving occupies a good amount of my time, naturally.

And I always feel bad when I see sadness on the side of the road. Look away from the road kill. I cannot sympathize enough with the people who run into these animals from all walks of the kingdom. And the animals. But now, I especially have compassion for the driver...

My car wheels were rolling along my gravel road the other night when I saw something that looked like an oversized mouse run out in front of my car. I would have swerved into the ditch like an animal-sensitive idiot, had I realized it fast enough. It all happened too fast. All I saw was the blurry flash of mid-sized grey, the strange kangaroo hind leg action (I honestly said, "what was that, a kangaroo?!"), and heard the accident underneath my car. I did not enjoy that. I won't go into details. I will spare you.

It's just part of this magical life so get used to it.

The mystery animal was a bobcat, according to a local animal whisperer I happen to be married to.
Oh man, it looked like a real cat. It looked like my sweet Baby Blue. I'm not going to get all sentimental on y'all, but these things happen. And apparently, bobcats eat baby turkeys.


I don't know. The point, ladies and gentlemen, is be careful when you're driving.

It's supposed to freeze rain here. Great. So be extra careful if you live in the Delta. Weather has been so lovely lately, not a sun in the sky. 

Cautiously, 
Liza Jane 

No comments:

Post a Comment