Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stormy Weather

I know I told you to stay tuned for the pictures of the surprise weekend. You know I will deliver.


Decided to snap a shot of our night view while we waited for what seemed like an hour, actually I think it really was. Hustling and bustling downtown of NOLA. It looks funky from up here even.


No matter how many times I try to rotate a picture in my photo gallery, sometimes it just won't do it. So pretend I'm being silly here. I told MB to make a nervous face. I like it that the pic is upside down actually. It kind of helps generate the feeling of the moment. Why are the surprisers always nervous? I imagine it feels like popping the question; you never know the reaction.


But it was a good one. 





SV, me, MB and VA after the surprise. 


VA, MB, me, SV, and CF. Okay, notice the white eyeshadow look on one of my eyes. Very retro Britney Spears in the 90s. I love these kinds of pics where something weird happens with glare or flash or pixel, and one person looks like an alien. 


But I never liked the white eyeshadow look so we took another one. 


Live It Up.


Amore. 

The rest are not PG, and I cannot disclose. I'm just kidding; they are, but it takes forever to upload because of the weather. But these are the best anyway. 

So onto today's blog, students:

One of my earliest memories is being pried from our back porch during a tornado in Jackson. My grandfather was sitting out there watching the trees hula dance in serious wind, rain, thunder and lightning. The siren was going off in our backyard or pretty close to it. He was having a great time, and I was too until someone grabbed me indoors and basically suffocated me under a mountain of pillows and blankets. Actually that part was fun too, but I couldn't understand why they would make me come inside like that. What in the world had I done to them? I hadn't locked any babysitters outside the house in a while. I didn't deserve this punishment.

Of course, now I am aware of why they hid me under the stairs like a monster, or that freaky movie from the 90s, in which that family (or was it just kids) lived under their stairs and haunted all the painfully naive residents of the house. Was that a movie?

But I loved the way a storm felt. I loved all the wind, lightning; I even loved the thunder. I guess I relished the excitement of it all. I liked the pandemonium. But most of all, I loved the feeling of a storm. Later, I learned that there is a different energy that comes with a storm. Apparently, this energy and my body get along very well. I still love storms.

There was a big storm in the Delta tonight. It was really pretty right beforehand. Jackson and I were out on the pier, and I thought he was acting weird. Later, we were on the back porch, and after it got dark, it got really windy and rainy with some lightning and a little bit of thunder. Jackson acted terrified and kept pacing back and forth between me and W, who was in the kitchen. He hates storms. (I thought it was really cute that he kept coming back out to the screen porch to check on me).

Because he hated being out there. And I was having a great time out there. So we just couldn't agree on this. I told him, "Listen Jackson, I like it out here. You don't have to worry about me. I just like the way a storm feels and sounds. Relax." We are opposites. That's why we get along so well. We're not complete opposites actually, but when it comes to storms we are. He jumps on the bed and lies on top of me during really bad ones that come in the middle of the night. You just want to tell him, "Look. You're going to be okay. This is not that bad of a storm. It will pass. You are in shelter, and therefore whatever you are scared of, be it getting struck by lightning, getting wet, being carried away by the wind, or just the loud noise of the thunder is not going to get you ever. Just take it easy, will ya?"

Poor Jackson just won't listen. So I've stopped telling him. We do still telepathically communicate about everything else though. I swear he winks at me when he wants me to smile.

Apparently, according to Jacksey's behavior right now, another storm is a brewin'. Jackson is curled up in the toilet closet of our bathroom, as we speak. Don't believe me? See for yourself.


The guy is just too cute. It's too much sometimes. But I want him to lighten up a bit. 

So the point is that there are storms. Storms pass. It's important to remember that life is not over or terrible if you are going through something. It just means that something is changing. Whatever it may be, it's a good thing. It's meant to make you stronger. Just tell yourself the words I tell Jackson during these times. Whatever you're scared of, everything will be all right. 

Bravely,
Liza Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment