Wednesday, May 15, 2013

All That Jazz

 I was one of those people who couldn't wait to get to English class 6th grade-12th grade. We'd put our desks in a circle and discuss the book we were reading, and while everyone else looked bored and tired, I was pumped. I talked everyone's ears off. I am a born book club leader.

I loved the symbols, the language, the depth of characters, the plot twists. In short, I am an avid over-thinker. Lucky me. Trust me, besides for analyzing books, it has not served me well. 

Favorite book of sophomore year at St. Cecilia Academy. Was my favorite book until I read A Tale of Two Cities.
The Great Gatsby was my first introduction to F. Scott Fitzgerald. And frankly, I was just excited that the nuns let us read something with some romantic intrigue, a little crime, partying and sex. 

I went on to read more Fitzgerald, Tender Is The Night ended up being my favorite. My mom was a big fan too. And I read more about the real lives of Fitzgerald, and his interesting wife, Zelda. You cannot differentiate her biography from his, but the whole story is extremely intriguing. 

So I love going to the movies. So naturally, last weekend, Will and I went to see the new Gatsby
I thought it was fabulous.


Here's the thing about movies: they've got to beautiful and action-packed with actors who know what they're doing. Baz Luhrmann did crazy, musically rich and colorful movies like Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet (the colorful 90s version with Leo). This new Gatsby is no different. Be prepared for Luhrmann's trademark elaborate settings, full of sparkles and color. Another Luhrmann trademark, be prepared to hear modern music in an older time. Also, the dazzling fashion. Also part of Luhrmann's productions, the beauty and quick-paced romance.

And you're going to love Carey Mulligan. Bottom line. 

You're going to wish you lived in the 1920s too. Forget being a Native American in the 13th century. I want to be a flapper. That's what I'll be when I grow up.

You're also going to want to go to a huge party.

I'm probably more infatuated with Leonardo DiCaprio than I was in 5th grade.
Here's to the sparkling beauty that's always around us! Have a good day, you.

Jazzily,
Liza Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment