Sunday, February 19, 2012

Aloha Hawaii, Back on the Mainland

We said aloha (meaning goodbye, the sad counterpart of the happy version of the word) and landed in the mainland an hour ago.

As soon as we land, I am reminded of the time of year. It looks, smells, feels, sounds and even tastes like winter. Yeah, I forgot it was the middle of February. It's cold and dreary here in Dallas. And my body's telling me that it's 4 am Liza's standard body time. So we stopped at the Starbucks. I haven't had coffee in what feels like years. But I actually had to do something to warm my body, and to wake up a bit. Big mistake. I feel like doing cartwheels down this terminal and back. And then jogging up and down the air strips, and doing jumping jacks in the middle of this gate. But I do have to stay up until an unreasonable version of my bedtime at least. My heart's pounding, and I feel really weird, but I am thankful for the safe travels so far, to be back in business, and to have a tan.

I can say a number of great things about this most incredible trip. But one thing I can say for sure is that there wasn't much time for blogging. I missed my little outlet. I didn't do much yoga either so my two outlets were all plugged up. I missed y'all. I really don't even know if anyone's reading this stuff actually, but I guess I missed it. I know my writing was probably scattered and hurried. But I'm back on the ground. So for the next few days, I will be sharing clear and happy remembrances of the best trip I've ever taken, the jolliest place I've ever been. As I have said, we are enamored with the islands, and most likely found a new friend for life.

W and I tossed and turned in our little 2-seat row on the plane, squirming in all different kinds of positions and balls, head bobbing in all kinds of directions, our bodies making the most uncomfortable postures it could. Groggy from melatonin and maybe some melancholy about leaving a tropical oasis of relaxation and adventure, we got a little bit of sleep, waking up every now and then to see if the other was awake, asking each other for the blanket or some water for the 7th time, looking at the window to see what was going on out there: what time is it anyway? When we saw the sunrise from above soon after we saw the sunset in Hawaii, we knew it was going to be a funny day. Oh, jet lag.

I just noticed there's black sand under my keys and in the crevices of my laptop. Not good at all. No, I didn't take my computer to the beach--there was obviously sand in my backpack. I never thought sand would make me feel so forlorn. Vacation's over. Stop whining and get into business, right here, right now.

There's something to be said for experiencing all the seasons, although some day I do hope to be able to spend the whole month of February in Hawaii. It's necessary to feel winter, to feel the urge to resist it, and instead, embrace it. Following my own advice at this juncture is not easy, but I know it's right.  Feeling the cold reminds you how good the warm feels. I believe that feeling it all is really important. Maybe we'll make a fire tonight to make the adjustment a little easier.

We are besides ourselves at getting to see loved ones and our pets. Jackson has been on our minds the whole time. We understand we missed a good bit of bad weather, but this time of year turns good for me. Because I know that spring and summer are around the bend! And I love that time of year.

We are about to board our flight back into Jackson, MS. The mainland feels different. But I am really enjoying it. I can't wait to hear some blues, see some friends and family, go to New Orleans next weekend, get back to this page every day, maybe develop a routine, start moving confidently in the right direction.

Going to Hawaii had been a long-time dream of mine, and I am so thankful to my husband for making it happen for us. And to B and C for their fun company and planning, and to our gracious hosts on the Big Island for being so very very kind. We had an unbelievable time. But I am very happy to be home. Another planting season is starting up, and there's a lot to do and experience.

(Ironic side note: I just finished reading Conquistadora, a pretty dang good book in my opinion, on the plane from Honolulu to Dallas. The last sentence of the book: She walked under the morning sun toward the promise of another planting season. Or something like that.) Planting season is kicking up for W, and for me as his farmer's wife.  I just love those little ironies. And my lucky number 17 is everywhere too by the way. It's going to be an awesome year I know.

Good to be home and even to feel the cold. Feel it all. And have a happy week!

Warmly,
Liza Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment