Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Peanut! Peanut Butter! and Jelly

I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich this morning, after long debate in my head over honey versus blueberry jelly. Then there was the debate with Will about whether or not to use honey or jelly (well actually it was jam). Then finally I was like, "The man wants a PB&J, then the man shall get a PB&J, but I still don't think blueberry jam is better than honey healthwise." So I bet right now he is looking at a cotton field in a tractor munching on a PB&J thinking about how awesome his wife is. 

But honey is definitely better for allergies and of course, is natural. 

But then there's the antioxidants in the blueberries, and this jam was real homemade awesome jam. So really who knows?

Forget about the stupid jelly let's talk about peanuts.

Digging peanuts

So I know all about peanuts. And I have actually dug peanuts out of the ground. In the above picture, we are riding in a John Deere tractor and that there is a digger, can you dig it?


So here is your agriculture fact of the day: peanuts are legumes. They grow underground. They must be dug up by said digger below. 


And after that happens, they must sit out there and dry out in the sun until they become the peanuts you eat all the time. At least I do. I love peanut butter. Not just because they surround our house and our livelihood depends on them, but I've always freaking loved peanut butter. Good source of protein. 

I eat em right off the ground. Sanitary? Probably not. Delicious? Definitely is. 

It's funny it's a little Scarlet O'Haraish. And if I want to be dramatic I do the God as my witness bit, but usually I just pluck a few open and eat them right there like a squirrel. 


After the peanuts are dug up and neatly situated in nice little rows, and they have dried, a combine comes through and collects them up so we can sell them to the peanut men. 

Ha I just imagined a bunch of little peanut men walking around hoarding peanuts.



Isn't that right?

Anyway, I like my peanut butter crunchy. One time a friend asked me how I like my peanut butter. And I said, "Crunchy of course!" And she, being hilarious as she is, said "I would hope so! Of course you like it crunchy. There is no other way." She was very opinionated about her peanut butter. So I said, "Well Virginia, there is another way and that's creamy." When she said, "The best way is the crunchy way." And we proceeded to make a very lofty and elite club based on the premise that crunchy peanut butter is in fact better than creamy peanut butter. 


If you like creamy peanut butter, we can still be friends (I actually like it sometimes too but please don't tell Virginia). But don't expect me to make you a PB&J. It will be crunchy and it will have H instead of J.

Hope you learned a little something something about agriculture too.

Creamily,
Liza Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment